Welcome to FRETBOARD String School!
Providing instruction, mentoring and workshops in:
- Resonator/Dobro Guitar
- Lap Steel Guitar
- Acoustic Guitar
- $30 per 45 minute session
Not currently accepting new students.
- Individual lesson plans based on assessment, skill level and the musical goals of the student
- Begin with and build upon on solid fundamentals and musical foundations to support the music you like to play
- Develop an understanding and comprehension of your instrument
- Leverage the first 3 items listed and what others have done to influence your own creativity, but don’t be a copy cat – be you!
- Apply the constructs and techniques of music to play any genre
“Life is about creating yourself”
~~ Bob Dylan
- Flatpick 101 (20S-MUS-002)
- Introduction to Resonator Guitar (19F-MUS-004)
- Dance of the Slants
“Try not to slant after you drink”
~ Bobby Ingano – Hawaiian Music Master
- Constructing Flights of Fancy
- Applied Music Theory – Dobro
- Applied Music Theory – Weissenborn
- Applied Music Theory – Guitar
- Intervals as a Second Language
- The Daunting Realm of the Fretboard Skating Rink
- Melody Development
- Creating Arrangements from Melodies: from Simple to Complex
- Modes, Toads and Scaly Things
- Song Structure
- Dynamics: When, Where, Why and How
- Expression of Musical Emotions
- The Bass Clef and The Dobro
- Recording with Garage Band
- Rhythm Workshop
- Improvisation 101: Going Beyond the Melody Notes Within the Melody
- Advanced Improvisation 102
- Introduction to Scales
- Far Flung and Flung Far Tuning
- Alternate Tuning: Open D (D-A-D-F#-A-D) for Resonator
- Alternate Tuning: DADGAD/Dsus4
- Alternate Tuning: Drop D for Guitar
- Alternate Tuning: C6 for Lap Steel
“If tuning could speak for itself, it would probably say: “I just work here!””.
~ Ashkan Mashhour
- Mapping the Fretboard with Scales
- The Muse, The Music and the Mystical Skittering Squirrel
- Travis Picking the Dobro – Beyond the Thumb
- SUSPENDED ANIMATION – A study of suspended chords in Dobro Open G Tuning
- The Secret Fretboard Decoder Ring — Decoder Ring Included!
- The CAGED System
- The FDAA System
- Navigating the Fretboard with Triads (a.k.a. Groovy Tunes)
- How to Practice
Call for workshop rates and availability.
- . . . Many times you’ll find that you learn more about music from life than from music.
- — Mick Goodrick